Hike the San Juans
Climb a peak in 2018
Trips For Individuals
2018 registration opens January 2
High School Trip
July 9-14, 2018
Guiding backpack trips for 39 years, Sonlight knows the impact of getting out, hiking trails and climbing peaks will last a lifetime.
One trip for individuals is on the calendar for summer 2018: a backpack trip for high school students
Join us for a week long adventure into the Weminuche Wilderness in southern Colorado. Get out! Learn basics of backcountry living and travel, summit a peak, participate in cooking and hike various types of terrain. Through program time, peaks and community we will explore our faith. This is a journey you will never forget.
Sonlight Backpack Trips For Individuals
Sonlight backpack trips are all guided in the Weminuche Wilderness of southern Colorado. Sonlight supplies all the gear you’ll need: backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, cooking equipment and food. You provide a good raincoat (with a hood) and boots or sturdy trail shoes.
- All participants will carry all their own gear, as well as a share of the group gear.
- Pack weight: packs will generally range between 35-50 pounds.
- You will be hiking on uneven terrain, which may be rocky and/or muddy at times.
- Depending on the itinerary, you may be hiking 3-8 miles per day.
- Sonlight programs in areas of deep wilderness, and you may be hiking a day or more away from the nearest trailhead.
- Depending on where you currently live, there may be a significant change in elevation. All trailheads are at an elevation of 8,000-9,000 feet, and we hike through areas that range between 9,000 to 12,000 feet above sea level. Depending on the itinerary, you may be attempting a 12,000′ or 13,000′ peak.
- Days may be are often long, and may require you to be up at 7 am and in bed at 9 pm.
High School Backpack Trip
Registration begins January 2, 2018
(Co-ed for rising 9th-12th graders and graduating seniors)
July 9 – July 14 (Monday-Saturday)
Arrival time: Monday July 9, 11:00 AM
at the backpack base
Pick up time: Saturday July 14, 9:00 AM
at the backpack base
Sonlight Christian Camp is an equal opportunity employer and service provider operating under special use permit on the San Juan National Forest.
* Continuing in 2018 Sonlight will subsidize all backpack trips
Sonlight holds US Forest Service permits in the San Juan National Forest and trips are open to all without regard to race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familiar or parental status, sexual orientation. Sonlight Christian Camp is an equal opportunity employer and service provider operating under special use permit on the San Juan National Forest.